Tuesday 3 July 2007

How to Spend July 4th in London

Lots of Brit speak in this entry - translation available in parentheticals :)

Yesterday was our 3 year engagement anniversary which we celebrate the same way each year: burgers at pop burger and a juant around the pond in a row boat in central park. There is nothing close to pop burger in London, so I figured I would make our own at home after row boating in Battersea Park. Of course, the rain started at ~5pm, so the row boats were out. And truth be told, it would have been tough to manage it given our plans for tomorrow....

Wimbeldon started last week and when I investigated getting tickets back in February, I was sad to see that the majority are given out via public ballot that ended in December. Our only hope was to get same day tickets which people stand in a queue (aka a line) overnight for next day tickets. Knowing that Jon and I are not exactly that type, we figured we'd have to go another time. But then this week, my hopes raised, after I read about a new 'scheme' (aka initiative) to get tickets on the internet for the next day's play with tickets opening up at 8:30pm. After clicking on the webpage about a thousand times, it opened up and we got our tickets to center court! Tomorrow I will be taking a sickie (aka a sick day) to celebrate US Independence Day knowing what a gloomy feeling it would be to be in the office when everyone back home is watching fireworks!

No comments: