Thursday 29 March 2007

Kosher Kingdom

I found this place online and had such high hopes for it. I mean who could resist a name like Kosher Kingdom. I needed to find a kosher butcher for Pesach and some treats and this place came with a recommendation from a local chap.

Anyway, let's just say after two tube lines and exiting in zone 3, I quickly realized I was in London's equivalent of Brooklyn. Black coats and hats abound, and with my google map in hand, I found Kosher Kingdom. Which was a serious disappointment - there was no meat (though the man checking me out, literally, not figuratively, suggested a place down the road). There were tons of imported items from the real Brooklyn, but I actually wanted to try some local specialties.

Oh well. I went to the butcher and asked for a brisket and the guy looked at me like I had 2 heads, responding, how does Sunday sound?

Anyway, I'm quickly realizing that I must be the only Jew in the neighborhood (ok fine, Rachel and Dave you count too but are in Arizona)... there is not one shelf much less an aisle of kosher for passover foods... good thing my mother insisted on giving me chocolate covered matzohs to pack in my suitcase :) At the time, it reminded me of when she sent me kleenex my freshman year at NYU, but this is actually something you can't find in London! :)

No comments: